Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

The plumber installed Grohe shower valves upside down with

Customer Question

hi
The plumber installed Grohe shower valves upside down with (two inlet one outlet) ,, means,, outlet is at bottom
so the hand trim now working in wrong way,, when you want to open the water ,, you have to push the hand trim toward wall
when you want to close the water you have to pull the hand trim, which is not correctThe questions,,
1-any way to correct this situation without removing ceramics and reinstalling it?
2- inlet (cold and hot water) will they be effected , some places plumber installed hot water at left and cold water tube at right
on another place he installed them hot water at right and cold water tube at left
will that make any difference regarding to mixingPlease inform
Regards
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. I am very sorry to say that the valve body would have to be removed and installed correctly. Hopefully it can be done by cutting the wall out behind it and not by removing any tile.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wall is very thick about hard 30CM, no way except removing the tiles
But,, if i keep this situation , will it be effect its mixing functions in future ,, than mean accepting wrong way hand trip(open and close) direction
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Even cutting a hole in the wall behind it would be much easier to patch than removing tile. It certainly is something that could be left as it is if the hot and cold are connected to the correct ports. If that is the case then not only did the plumber install it upside down but he also connected to the incorrect ports. When you turn it on it should be cold and then get hotter as you move the handle. It is possible to cut out tile only what will be covered by the face plate and that may get enough access to remove the valve body that way and replace it correctly. I have done that in the past and it is not easy but it can be done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My english not good sometimes I am using translator ,, so I cant make phone call
You said (When you turn it on it should be cold and then get hotter as you move the handle)
its normal situation isnt it? because water take time to receive from heater to valve
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct. Once the hot water reaches the valve that is how it should work. The plumber will not come back and fix it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plumber scape,, Run a way,, ,, :) he bought ticket and back to his country, he is egyption,,, after he made problem to my whole building ,, many flats
So , I am looking for solution by my self and I have to hire another plumber
I was thinking to remover cartridge add rubber ring and turn it 180 degree, will this Idea work?
by the way,, correct the situation will cost more than 5000USD according to local price ,
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

That is quite terrible. I do not think that those cartridges can be turned around. I would have to review the specs. Do you have the model number of the valve body?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

If it is the one that I am thinking of I do believe you can get a reversing cartridge but it does not solve the problem of being upside down. Those cartridges are about $200 each too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have model no now,, I am in home now,, but tomorrow I can get it,, reserve cartridge may solve apart of problem
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

It may but only part of the problem and the cost may be near the cost of complete repair. Not sure how many units are installed this way. If the water lines are accessible they could be switch too. Then no need for the cartridges.