Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

McGuiness. I replaced the stems and seats but the shower

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** McGuiness. I replaced the stems and seats but the shower still leaks. I'm afraid that when i got the old seats out, I may havamaged the threads that the seat screws into.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My shower uses Price Fister stems. I bought new stems, they came with seats. Both of the old seats were nearly impossible to get out. I had to hammer a screw driver in there to get them out. One seat broke into pieces before it came out. I wrapped the new seats with teflon tape and set them in with a seat wrench. They seemed to screw right in. I tightened them. When I put the stems in and closed it all up, the shower still leaks. Is it possible water is getting through from around the seats?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Improvement Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I've used this service before. Yes, I'll wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you replaced the stems and seats and the valve still drips you've done all you can and the valve will need to be replaced. You can replace the valve without opening the wall up/re-tiling (if you have no access from behind) by using a cover plate made just for this purpose. With the plate you can cut a hole big enough to work in then the plate covers the hole.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would it still leak after replacing stems and seats?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You have a defect in the valve body. You mentioned messing up the seat threads. That's one possibility or it could just be a defect in the valve body

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to get a plumber then, I do t know how to replace a valve. The tile and drywall is going to require knockout then, correct? Or do they make a hole in the wall behind the valves?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you heard of someone damaging the threads removing the seat and having the valve leak as a result? I don't understand having a defect in the valve body. Wouldn't it have leaked for years if that's the case?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If there is access behind the valve that's the best place to access it. No need to destroy the tile. Like I said in my first post a cover plate is use to cover the hole on the tile side. Get a different plumber if he says the the tile side has to be opened up. The plate will also cover the holes from an old valve like yours when a new single control valve is used. Since I've never damaged the seat threads it's not situation I've come across. If your valve has seats and stems it's an old valve and they just wear out eventually. There's nothing to be gained by speculating why it failed. When new seats and stems don't fix it then the valve needs to be replaced.