Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

When I flush the toilet, the bowl fills almost to overflow.

Customer Question

When I flush the toilet, the bowl fills almost to overflow. After the tank fills, the bowl empties way below normal level and stays there. I tried a 6' snake and once I got it past an apparent small opening at 3' or so, it went all the way in with no resistance. I am stumped.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Jed Noble replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a plumbing contractor. Your main line is probably partially backed mainline past the snakes reach. When the water builds high enough it starts a siphon and sucks the bowl clear because the vent in full of water and can't release the air lock. Do you have cleanouts outside that you know of?

This could also be caused by a toilet that does not start a good siphon at the beginning of the flush. In the bottom of the you can usually see a 1/2" to 3/4" hole pointing into the toilet drain. At the beginning of the flush does water gush out of that hole?