Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Does my washing machine have to have an air vent?

Customer Question

Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a relatively new (3 year old) Bosch Clothes Washer which I have been using successfully for 3 years no problems...now
my co-op building plimber tells me I need to hoop up an air drain to the building's main air vent...this willo entail running a 1.50 in pipe and 25 feet ....is this necessary? Is it building code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 and 1/2 inch pipe from washer to building main air vent...they say it is required
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Technically yes, every drain line must be vented and it's more essential on a washing machine drain than other drain lines. One purpose of a vent is to protect the trap on the drain from siphoning out. This is much more likely on an un-vented washing machine drain because the machine pumps the water out under pressure. All that said if you haven't had any sewer type odors in or around the washing machine then the drain may already be vented or it's not siphoning out the trap. I don't know on what authority this plumber is making this demand but generally no code enforcement official is going to come to your house and require that this venting work be done.