Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have sand or soft sand like deposits in the main bathtub -

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Patrick, I have sand or soft sand like deposits in the main bathtub - hot water only!!!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I removed the faucet and turned the tap to high (hot) and when it pressures up both on, and pressuring down off - it spits out sand like deposits.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Plumbing Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ill wait a bit
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It sounds like you're describing mineral deposits in the water that precipitate out in the water heater due to the heating of the water. Then they get swept up into the tub when you run the water. Are you on a well? or does the town water supply come from a well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No well city water...
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Does your town get it's water supply from wells or a reservoir?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reservoir
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Have you called the water department about this? The only likely source is the town's water. There's nothing in the plumbing system that would/could produce what you describe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a potential degrading diptube? It's only the bathroom tub faucet hot water only. We are not experiencing this through any other faucet in our home
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dip tubes are plastic. What you describe doesn't sound like plastic. Not to mention the problems you would have getting adequate hot water if the dip tube was failing. You probably don't get this through the other faucet because the flow into the tub is far higher volume that anything else in the house. So sediment is more likely to be noticeable there.