Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience:  Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
23932409

I'm ***** *****. Plumbers came and installed the pipes in my

Customer Question

Customer: I'm ***** *****. Plumbers came and installed the pipes in my shower so that they would fit my new Moen shower fixtures. I planned to install the tile myself and they showed me the 'flush' point for the tile. It seems to have been correct for the hot and cold faucets but now there is a six inch pipe with a 'cap' screwed on it sticking out of the wall where the shower should be attached. I'm sure there is a water pipe there and that this six inch thing is just a 'cap' for me to tile around. However it seems glued in! I just about broke my back trying to get it off with an adjustable wrench. The 'cap' comes off but the pipe remains, so I thought maybe I need to twist it in the opposite direction? When I tried this the pipe didn't budge. Is there a tool one is supposed to use for this? I'm just a woman with minimal arm muscles and I'm afraid I won't be able to finish this job.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hmm, not sure what would help?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Plumbing Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

If you have the cap off, leave the pipe alone, just screw the shower head onto it.

If you can post a picture of it here taken from about 8 feet away that will help me be sure of what you have, use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar above, or the 'attach files' link to the left of your send button

We can go from there, If I miss you tonight I will pick your response up in the morning,

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished,if my answer has been polite, professional, and thorough, please locate the 'rate your expert button' and click one of the ratings .

If you still need help let me know!. Rating will not increase your charges, nor close the question, but is how I earn my living.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the pipe sticking out of the wall is ugly and not made for this particular type of shower. It is an overhead 'rain' shower which requires a much longer and curved pipe that attaches from above. This pipe is at the wrong angle, sticks out too far and yet not quite far enough. There is a pipe lower down that a handheld shower will attach to. It is also sticking out too far and is very ugly. I am attaching a picture. I HAVE TO remove this pipe. The plumbers fixed the plumbing to work with the Moen fixtures I had purchased which they had on hand when they set it up. I was hoping to fix this before the week began again.
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Thanks,

Here are some video's

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Installing+shower+head

It will be best if the plumbers install the bent chrome plated shower head 'goose neck'.. it will be easy for you to make mistakes with the pipe threads inside the wall,

However if you want to remove the pipe, buy or rent an 18 inch long 'pipe wrench' to unscrew it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmFrB38pe1U

Good luck

Ifyou still need help let me know!. Rating will not increase your charges, nor close the question, but is how I earn my living.

If you miss me tonight I will pick your response up in the morning.