Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a toilet that gurgles when washer drains. Now toilet

Customer Question

I have a toilet that gurgles when washer drains. Now toilet is stopped up and sink in the bathroom is now backing up in the toilet. Have two other toilets that are working fine. What should I do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like you have a stoppage. The main drain will need to be snaked. You can rent a large motorized snake to snake the line yourself but you might want to just call a drain cleaning service. Their cost usually isn't much more than the rental fee and you won't have to deal with this rotten messy job.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Other toilets are running fine. So where would you snake.....the toilet?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is a cleaning service different from a plumber? I live in Plano Tx.
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

You snake the nearest cleanout. You can't snake through the toilet although sometimes the only access is to pull the toilet off the floor and snake through the toilet pipe. Drian cleaners are usually less expensive than plumbers. Think Roto Rooter (not an endorsement of that franchise). Some plumbers also do drain cleaning.

Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

You may have just the branch of the main that's clogged if the other toilets are OK and aren't backing up into the problem one.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I had main sewer line rotorooted a couple of weeks ago. Didn't help this toilet. Plumber came out and ran water flush down washer drain. This cleared toilet until today.
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

That doesn't change my answer. You're describing a stoppage in the main (maybe a branch of the main)

Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

If just that toilet (itself) was plugged the other fixtures would have no impact on it

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
if main sewer has a stoppage why do other toilets work fine?
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

I've already explained this. It could just be a branch of the main that's clogged

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
do you snake back toward the house or away from the house?
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

If you don't have a nearby cleanout you have to pull the toilet and run your snake down that pipe. If your house is on a slab this may be your only option

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can I put liquid plumber down the toilet or sink in that bath to try to unclog? I am 73 yrs old, so what you have told me is to call someone to come out. I am trying to do everything I can to try to unstop without calling a plumber.
Expert:  Rick replied 12 months ago.

No product you can dump down the drain is going to clear a stoppage. Snaking is the only effective way to clear it. Like I said initially you can rent the equipment but the rental cost isn't much less than the cost of a drain cleaning service . And you'll probably have to pull and reset the toilet.
I'm logging off for the night. I'd appreciate a favorable rating. If you have more questions I'll respond in the morning.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry that you are leaving me hanging. You have not helped me at all, except told me to call someone.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Far from leaving you hanging I told you that you either need to rent a snake or call a drain cleaning service. I'm sorry if pulling the toilet and running a large power snake is beyond your capabilities. I have no control over that.