Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My plumber installed a moen transfer valve t4311. When I

Customer Question

My plumber installed a moen transfer valve t4311. When I went to install trim the valve leaks from handle. What's purpose of valve pulling in and out? And what could cause it to leak from front?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you have a leak from the front then you probably have a defective cartridge in the valve. It shouldn't pull in and out. Sounds like you also have the wrong cartridge in the valve. Specs specifically state the 1225 cartridge (the one for a mixing valve) is not a suitable substitute.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The cartridges are very similar and also install in the same way but the cartridge for this transfer valve should not have a stem that pulls out like on a mixing valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Installation instructions for transfer valve trim specifically shows pulling handle out. Step 4 page two of morn t4311. Seems odd to me too but it does pull out as shown
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is other photo showing pulling valve out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you get to me after seeing images?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

T4311 is a trim model number. It's not the number for the valve itself. The compatible valve for this trim is the 3372. I see no mention of pulling the stem out in the instructions for the 3372. In any event if it's leaking behind the handle the cartridge is defective. The proper replacement cartridge for the 3372 transfer valve is 116719. If this is a brand new valve you should get a free replacement from Moen under the warranty. You can call them at 1-***-***-****

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Of course another possible maybe be that you don't have a transfer valve roughed in the wall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Although I appreciate your opinions, I believe after research that you are incorrect. I the t4311orb directly stated the use of 116719 for there supplied valve of 3372. So all parts are correct.
For the sake of eliminating possibilities I swapped out for a new cartridge of 116719 and all works. Would like to not be charged full price for this so how do I get refund on this site?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

How am I incorrect?! What you said is exactly what I said the problem and the fix was! I said you had a bad cartridge and the correct cartridge was the 116719

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Direct quote from previous answer "In any event if it's leaking behind the handle the cartridge is defective. The proper replacement cartridge for the 3372 transfer valve is 116719."