Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

Sorry..it was there...now it's gone. I'm planning on putting

Customer Question

Sorry..it was there...now it's gone. I'm planning on putting a bathroom in a basement. The house has a septic system which exits the basement about 3 ft above the slab. I was thinking a macerator would be ok to use for this. Instead of elevating the bathroom to allow gravity to deliver the water to the macerator. ..could I dig a pit and put the macerator below the floor line to accomplish the same thing? What's a good macerator. .the ones at big box stores received spotty reviews
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

If you dig a pit then no need for the macerating toilet. You could dig the pit and put a basin in and that would house a sewage ejector pump. Then pipe the bath to the basin and you would be able to put regular toilets and fixtures in the bath.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

Do you have a vent available to connect to? Are you going to install this yourself?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am installing this myself and yes I access to a vent. I am undecided on an actual macerator or using an ejector pit. Would an actual macerator need to be vented? The big box stores sell one that appears to be self contained. In either case I will be digging a pit and putting it into the ground. It's only for 1 bathroom so what kind of setup is best
Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

Either one would need to be vented. The macerating toilet is the easiest and you could always vent it with a studor vent but if you put the basin in and a sewage ejector pump that will need to be vented. The macerating toilet is by far the easiest solution. No need to break up any of the floor for that. If you are adding a shower or tub then you would need to do the sewage ejector pump. The sewage ejector pump and basin is better but certainly the most expensive route and the most difficult. You would have to break up the floor and put all of the drain piping in the ground too. This is the best because you end up with a better pump and you can put regular fixtures in the bathroom.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Were you able to fix the issue with the information provided?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.