Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Compared to other in my neighborhood, I 't have a problem

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. Compared to other in my neighborhood, I don't have a problem YET. Heavy rains here in Oregon. I can hear and see my sump pump working. From time to time I can hear little pieces of gravel getting sucked up the pipe. My question is: should there be little gravel stones at the bottom of my pump or should I clear them away? -Sheryn
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just noticed that there is a lot of gravel stones at the bottom of my sump pump. Should they be there?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Plumbing Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I can wait. I'm just trying to prevent a clog from occurring. I am wiling to pay with my AMEX. $18.00 is less than what it will cost if my house floods...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There should be crushed stone in the bottom of your sump pit but your pump should be set on a patio block or other 2" thick cement block to keep it up out of te stone and the sediment in the bottom of the pit.