Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

My bath water pressure if low when warm. When I turned it to

Customer Question

My bath water pressure if low when warm. When I turned it to the hot side the pressure recovered but the water stayed very hot. I took the faucet apart and it seems clean to me, but the cold water pressure seems much lower than the hot water. Any easy
way to fix?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Do you know what model valve it is?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you Mike. I don't know for sure. It's a pretty old single round handle and I guess it's Moen.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

Yes, looks like Moentrol by Moen. Pull out to turn on and off and left and right for temperature?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

Turn the water off and remove the handle and cover plate. You will see a big flat head screw to the left of the handle stem. Remove that and that is the pressure balance cartridge. Remove any debris from it and take it apart and grease it with plumbers grease. Do not use petroleum jelly or any petroleum products. It must be plumbers grease or silicone grease. The pressure balance cartridge is sticking.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Exactly.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

I just posted the answer just at the same time you replied. See it?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did it a while ago but it didn't work. The cartridge seemed very clear to me.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I didn't grease it, though.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

The cartridge that the handle connects to is different. There are two cartridges on that one. One for temperature control and volume control and the other is just the pressure balance cartridge. The one behind the flat head screw is the one that is causing the issue and yes you will have to lubricate it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't see the other cartridge. Maybe it's a different model? I saw SHWR 7106 (or 5) on the surface of the metal.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

I see. That is an old one. The mixing cartridge itself will have to be replaced. If you call Moen they may send a new one for free. 1800buyMoen

Expert:  Mike R. replied 12 months ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 10 months ago.

Were you able to fix the issue with the information provided?