Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We are building out a shower stall. Instead of buying an

Customer Question

We are building out a shower stall. Instead of buying an "off the shelf" shower system with a shower head with a diverter to a wand, our contractor mentioned he in the past has taken a three knob tub/shower setup and modified the bathtub fixture to feed the handheld wand. He said it will save us money on fixtures if we piece together several different fixtures to get a shower head and handheld wand combination using the diverter from the shower tub system.
My question is, how simple is such a process and will it end up costing us more on labor/plumbing than buying a complete system?
Are there any other advantages or disadvantages to what he is suggesting? -Josh
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Since a 3 handle valve is dated (forget about getting parts)and the trim unlikely to match you're better off going with all new fixtures. Not to mention a 3 handle valve is not pressure balancing (no anti scalding/cold shower protection)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick,

I agree on that. Is there another way to piece together separate units, or again does it make sense to simply buy a set as to avoid additional labor costs from the in wall plumbing work?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Every shower fixture manufacturer has valve, hand shower and diverter components that can be assembled into a matching set. You aren't limited to a pre-packaged set but that does simplify the choices.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I have to step away for a few minutes. If you don't have any more questions I'd appreciate a favorable rating. If you have more questions I respond when I get back