Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience:  Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
23932409

Our Noritz tankless water heater keeps turning off when we

Customer Question

Hi -- our Noritz tankless water heater keeps turning off when we turn on the hot water tap. It makes a 'switch' sound then turns off within 2 seconds each time
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it is most likely a broken 'flow switch' that will have to be replaced. 98% chance of that.

Its a $400 or $500 job. The normal life span of those water heaters is in the 10 to 12 year range.

If the water heater is over 9 years old, it will most likely be a good idea to replace it. However

this diagnosis will have to be confirmed by a technician on site.

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!. Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer. Feel free to follow up for30 days at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi -- is there any value in the unit? we're probably going to replace with a tank heater
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, there is very little other than scrap value for any older tankless hot water heater. The copper is worth about $10.

If you choose one of the least expensive tank type water heaters with no vent damper and a standing pilot light, it will last 15 to 20 years as a rule with little or no repairs required.

If you can rate my advice positively I will appreciate it, its how I earn a living and does not increase your charges. Thanks!