Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

Just snowed in Illinois. 50+year old cape. Utility sink

Customer Question

Just snowed in Illinois. 50+year old cape cod. Utility sink (dual) in basement where washing machine empties is backing up, when running kitchen sink directly One floor above it starts backing up further. Not sure what happened if it's clog, something to do with cold pipes? Tried plunging and nada.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. I would be surprised if the snow is related to the blockage but it is possible. The piping is deep enough that it would not freeze but the pipe outside may have a clean out access that does not have a cap and has filled with snow but more likely the same drain pipe serves the utility sink and kitchen sink. This pipe likely has buildup of grease and other kitchen waste that has gotten more rigid. Plunging it will not be enough. It will have to be snaked out. The best would be to have it professionally done so that they can use some industrial equipment with a grinder bit on the end of the auger. This will be much more effective than buying your own snake and snaking it yourself. It also avoids any complications of getting the snake stuck and not being able to get it out. A very common issue with domestic use snaking equipment.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?