Hauserplb
Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
25685634

Rick, first it was too gh now I lowered it and it felt like

Customer Question

rick, first it was too high now I lowered it and it felt like a good seat The house is 50 years old in very good shape under the flange is a curved lead pipe of I installed a Oaty 3/4 inch flange with rubber gasket that I have installed times before in other houses but now I am leaking. the previous commode was in there 50 years with no problem
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 1 year ago.

There's a very good chance the lead has broke loose from the brass toilet flange. You will have to re-wipe the joint if that is the case. Only way to know is pull the toilet and examine the flange.

If you've never done this before, I suggest getting a lead sheet from the supply house and practicing. It can be tricky.

Anothe solution is cutting the entire lead 90 out and replacing with pvc.

A third (and less desirable) is to remove the brass flange, take a pvc flange and make sure it will fit snug into the lead. Take 100% silicon and thickly cover the sides of the flange. Puch it down into the lead and secure the flange. Wait 24hrs and reset the toilet.