Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have tiled the bathroom floor with ceramic tile and

Customer Question

I have tiled the bathroom floor with ceramic tile and changed to a new commode which I have done several times before. This commode first leaked after three days onto the tile. I changed the wax ring and still a leak. but now onto the ceiling below. I thought the tile was too high so I marked the flange and cut out the tile so the flange could be lower. I screw the flange to the subfloor and with new wax (large) reinstalled the commode. I thought every thing was OK, but NO it leaked onto the ceiling below. Help.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The flange should sit on top of the tile so the bottom of the flange sits on top of the tile. If you just replaced it you can build it up with spacers/extenders (see attached pic) which you can get at any plumbing supply house and possibly even the big box stores. It sounds like you're not getting a good seal with the wax ring because your flange is too low.