Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We have sewer gas smell coming from behind our cabinetry in

Customer Question

We have sewer gas smell coming from behind our cabinetry in kitchen but it is strongest behind where the dishwasher is. It always gets worse in windy weather or alot of precipitation. Sometimes if you open a drawer in the cabinets, the smell is overwhelming. And it comes up from the washing machine hose as well which is located quite a ways from the dishwasher.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I suspect you have a broken vent pipe or possibly a joint has pulled apart based on your description. I sorry to be the bearer of bad new but you'll probably have to open up the wall to find it. I'm assuming that the plumbing was done at least somewhat correctly and the fixtures have traps. It's also possible that your washing machine drain is not vented properly and because of that the trap is siphoning out when the washer is draining. This will also sewer odor into the house. One way to avoid a lot of extra work would be to hire a plumber who has a boroscope (see attached pic). With a boroscope a smal hole can be drilled in the wall to insert the probe to look inside the wall without tearing it apart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
our concern is that we are on a slab and all the lines are in the slab that go to the sewers. The dishwasher drains straight down into the floor as the washer does. We have an island in the kitchen across from the dishwasher and I believe there is some sort of vent thing associated with the dishwasher in that plumbing but there is never any smell that comes from those pipes, the smell comes up from under the dishwasher and dissipates into the drawers and cupboards and behind the refrigerator which is next to the dishwasher. Our whole house sunk at an angle because no pylons were used and we are on a lake with a high water table and soft mushy soil. Our neighbor building at the same time had to have pylons but our builder was related to inspector and turns out we didn't have any put in. So we have had holes drilled through our slab in various places and all determine that things have cracked and shifted alot. Could that cause the plumbing lines to break? Should we start with having them snaked or go directly to someone that can use the boroscope. All our heating lines filled up with groundwater and came up to the floors vents which is how we found out about the sinking problem in the first place. We had fill all them in, pull up all the flooring,install new heating ducts throughout to solve that problem. As you can imagine...extremely costly. I am concerned with this gas making us sick.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with an unscrupulous contractor. I'd suggest you have a plumber come out and check out your situation. Generally a broken drain pipe won't cause an odor problem because there's usually no way for the odor to escape through the slab unless there are holes in it. The slab shifting could break a drain line. Also your description indicates to me you probably have several issues with the plumbing not installed properly. Intermittent sewer gas infiltrating into the house isn't likely to make you sick but it needs to be addressed.