How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 21141
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had some pipes replaced in my kitchen and the plumber had

Customer Question

i had some pipes replaced in my kitchen and the plumber had to jack hammer the foundation to get to them,I need to know if I should concrete back over the new pipes which are now pvc and not the old cast iron?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You don't have to if it's not necessary for some other purpose like they are in an area that you walk over all the time. If you do cover the PVC with concrete to have to wrap the pipes so the concrete doesn't come in direct contact with the PVC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually they are behind the washing machine wall where no one walks. We are wanting to put in a new cabinet and needed to know about the pipes before pouring.What do i wrap them with?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Pipe insulation is the easiest. You just don't want the concrete to come in contact with the PVC because the PVC expands when it heats up and the concrete can wear a hole in it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there something that i am supposed to wrap around the pipes before pouring?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Just the pipe insulation is all you need

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay,is that foam.tape, or what? Will the local Home Depot know what it is?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Any type of pipe insulation. There are products like a kind of foam tape that you can wrap around the pipe there's regular split foam insulation that's easier to use if you have the room (click on the links in blue). HD may not have larger sizes of the split foam in stock (1 1/2", 2") so you'd need to go to a plumbing supply house for that

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions?