Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

This past Friday I replaced a kitchen faucet friend of mine

Customer Question

This past Friday I replaced a kitchen faucet for a friend of mine because she said her old faucet had developed a continuous drip. (It was dripping about a 1/2 gallon of water every per hour). When I was in the process of removing and replacing her old
kitchen faucet with a new one, I noticed that the hot water valve underneath her sink wouldn't shut off the water completely. It just kept bubbling up and dripping water that appeared to be consistent with the amount of water that her old faucet had been dripping.
While I performed the replacement of her kitchen faucet, I had to place a kitchen pot underneath that valve to catch the water that was constantly dripping from the valve opening. I finally had to shut off main water valve located outside of the house. Of
course, I turned on all of the faucets in the house to make sure that all of the water bled out of the lines. But oddly enough this one particular valve located underneath her kitchen sink kept dripping water at the same rate that it was dripping before, about
1/2 gallon per hour. When I completed the R&R of her kitchen faucet and opened back up all of the water valves, (the water main outside and the two valves underneath her kitchen sink) everything seemed to be working just fine. I didn't detect any dripping
underneath her sink and the new faucet was not dripping either. She just sent me an email telling me that the rand new faucet has begun to drip water just like the old faucet had been doing. How can this be happening? You would think that once all of the valves
had been opened back up, is is the job of the new faucet to control the water coming from that line? I retired a couple of years ago and ended up becoming a sort of "Jill of all Trades". I have performed quite a few minor plumbing fixes, i.e. new faucet installations,
garbage disposal installations, toilet R&R's and repairs etc. I have never encountered a problem like this one. All of the homes in our area have a triangular shaped, galvanized steel cannister that is installed between the main water valve and the main water
pipe that goes into your home. I forget what these things are called but I know that after about 20 years, these devices can get really clogged up and can actually cause a significant reduction in the water pressure inside your home but I don't think I have
ever heard of these devices being responsible for constant dripping faucets. I noticed that my friend has never replaced the old galvanized canister valve that was installed on the pipe leading from her main water valve into the house which means this canister
valve is about 30 years old. Any thoughts or advice on finding the culprit of the constant drip occurring in the brand new kitchen faucet would be much appreciated.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this. first of all thank you for all of that information. i believe what happened is that canister has been flaking off for a while and there is alot of debris in the piping that is probably what is causing the drip. it is very possible to get a little piece of debris stuck in the seat of the new valve. it may also happen to some other faucets too. i would recommend installing a particulate filter on the main water line. if you have any more questions please let me know. if not i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service today by selecting one of the 5 stars or smiley faces and thank you for using just answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding so quickly Daniel however your answer doesn't add up to me. She is not having any dripping problems with any of the other faucets in her house. It just doesn't seem very plausible to me that immediately after a brand new faucet was installed in her kitchen, that brand new faucet would begin to exhibit the exact same symptoms that her old faucet was exhibiting, i.e. constant dripping and that the reason for this is that a piece of debris came through the pipes in her house and just so happened to lodge itself in the exact position that would end up causing her brand new kitchen faucet to drip just like her old faucet used to drip. To me, this symptom indicates that the problem is not with her kitchen faucet (new or old) and that the problem is something or somewhere else.If the water supply to the house was turned off and all of the lines were bled out, why would the water line supplying the kitchen have enough water in it to produce a constant drip? After I removed the hoses from the valves underneath her kitchen sink, the drip coming from the opening of hot water valve appeared to drip at the same rate that her faucets (old and new) were dripping.The next question is: Don't faucets themselves have shut off valves inside the fixture? Why wouldn't the faucet itself be able to control the flow of water coming from water line leading to the kitchen sink? It just doesn't add up to me.PS - the canister-looking valve that is located between the main water valve the main pipe into her house is called the "Pressure Regulating Valve". Our houses are built on cement slabs and there is no more room left on the main water pipe to install any other kind of device because the main water line comes out of the ground for about 6 inches at which point the main valve was installed. Then, directly above the main valve, the "Pressure Regulating Valve" was installed. After the PRV there is about 2 - 3 inches of pipe that is exposed and then the pipe turns 90 degrees and then another 90 degree turn and it goes directly back down into the ground and then underneath the cement slab of the house.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. This all sounds a bit familiar. Is this the American Standard faucet that is leaking?