Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Rick, I have a richmond water heater model 5vrp40n it gives

Customer Question

Hello Rick, I have a richmond water heater model 5vrp40n it gives me a code that is 2 flashes witch is Max ING attempts. The pilot lights but the ign keeps trying to light it. and the burner does not light until i reset it several times.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the electrode arc ignites the pilot but the main burner doesn't fire up then you probably have a flame sensing problem. You can try carefully cleaning the electrode (which doubles as a flame sensor) with fine aluminum oxide sandpaper. Also check the the connections at the electrode and gas valve. If that doesn't solve this then the next step is to replace the pilot burner assembly