Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Water softner salt tank has about 4-6 inches of hard

Customer Question

Water softner salt tank has about 4-6 inches of hard dissolved salt. I can force a metal rod through it and have done so in several places but do not seem to be able to break apart this sold layer. The unit seems to regenerate fine going through all the processes but I do not see a change in the salt tank water level. I have removed most of the pellets so I can see the water level. I do not get softened water.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.
You need to remove the solid salt then reload the tank with pellets. Once you do that you need to put the softener on manual regenerate. If you still don't have soft water after that then you'll need to do some further troubleshooting. Cleaning the venturi that facilitates pulling the brine out of the tank is a common maintenance procedure and will often solve the problem if you don't get soft water after a regen. Instructions to clean the venturi are in your manual

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get that block out? Seems I would have to, somehow, disconnect the softner and take it out side and tip it over. Since all the softner parts are in the tank this seems like a huge task with a high probability of damaging the rest of the unit. Your suggestions?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You'll have to find a way to beak it up. Even if you disconnect the unit and tip it over you won't be able to ge it out in 1 piece if you can't now. I have an ice chipper that's basically a 2" wide chisel on the end of a metal pole. Something like that would work. Maybe securely taping (try vinyl electricians tape) a chisel to the end of a broom handle would work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - I already know that information and was hoping for something new and insightful.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The solution to your problem is pretty straight forward. I can't change that. I'm sorry there's nothing more to add.