Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

2 pipe f&w pump not used years, filled pump with water, pump

Customer Question

2 pipe f&w pump not used for 2 years, filled pump with water, pump will build a very small pressure will not really build or pull any water from the well to fill the storage tank,(new bladder tank)I have cleaned out control regulator, still no change open the prime tube pipe to refill but it only took maybe a ounce of water to top it off, turn pump back on it never builds any more than small pressure, tried opening supply valve slow to bleed off any air but can never fill the bladder storage.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.
Since this hasn't been used in a couple years there's a pretty good chance the inlet strainer or foot valve is plugged or stuck shut. You'll have to pull the drop into the well to check this. You could also have a leak in the suction line. Of course a low water level in the well could also be the problem but I assume you checked that already. The air pressure in the tank should be set to 2 psi below the cut in pressure of your switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pulled the pump today, it is a vertical F&W 2 stage setting on top of the well, took it apart to check for cracks, gasket between the stages was leaking a drop or two during the time that was trying to prime. all parts looked good inside. the suction pipe on the well was full to the top of the adapter. also the well casing side was full to the top of the adapter, thought maybe it might lake down but never did after several hours
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you haven't pulled the drop into the well. You need to check the jet assembly at the end of the drop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was my next thought, ,, I have to remove the concrete slab on top of the well pit (well is under the front house steps) is the the suction pipe normally threaded onto the pump well adapter.right ? should I be able to pull the suction pipe up by wrapping a chain around the adapter?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I think you're talking about a pit less adapter which is only used on drilled wells. You should have 2 drop lines into the well. Never saw a pit less on a dug well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
www.flintandwalling.com/de-ea/product/124-verticaldeep-well-jet-pumps#documents the adapter has a three bolt clamp with a rubber compression ring, looks like the one in the link. above select (135258 FW0636 Vertical Jet Pump Instr)
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, you can wrap a chain around this adapter to pull the drop out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I be able to pull it out with with bobcat forks or should use a come-a-long?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Depends on the type of piping. If it's black poly you can carefully pull it out with either. If it's rigid pipe (PVC) you need to pull it straight up which means a tripod and a winch.