Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I have a taco 007 water pump on my boiler. it is starting is

Customer Question

I have a taco 007 water pump on my wood boiler. it is starting is 3rd year. this year a heat exchanger and 50 gal water tank was added to the boiler loop. the boiler loop enters the house at the bottom of the basement which makes a 10 foot drop or lift for the pump to deal with plus the 4 to 5 foot tall water tank at the end of the return line as the water drops into the tank at the top --- now the pump moved or pumped less than 1 gal --- just over 3/4 of a gallon in 1 min ---- my question is do I need more water running thru the system as that just barley seems move water --- the pump flanges and the loop is all 1 inch and there is no way there a 1 inch stream of water coming out at the end --- more like a 1/4 inch size stream of flow. do I buy or do I just sit here and worry
frank pennington
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello Frank, don't worry the situation is fixable one way or the other.

I need a lot more data from you however.

1. 4 photo's of the boiler and pump room taken from oposite angles so that I can get an idea of what you have.

2. A sketch of the hydronic heat piping layout in the house, and size of the house, and nearest city so that I can assess the load conditions.

3. I need to know if the tank is an open top tank or closed top, I need to determine if it is a closed loop system or an open loop system.

4. I need some photo's of the radiators.

We can start there, so far I suspect air trapped at one or more high points in the system, and possibly the piping undersized adding pressure drop, compounded by the extra heat exchanger doubling that pressure drop... its all mostly fixable however.

We can go from there... for your offered amount I will do the analysis and make some recommendations, if you want systems engineering with several CAD drawings, I will submit an additional services offer for that.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

I also need the size of the house, and brand and model number of the boiler.