Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

How do I remove the broken half (thread) of the shower

Customer Question

how do I remove the broken half (thread) of the shower "gooseneck pipe"? it's @ an inch inside the sheetrock wall - I can see it, there's a lug nut or some such surrounding it...
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

The only way to get the shower arm out of the female elbow in the wall without cutting the wall open is to slot the arm on the inside where it's screwed into the el. You'll need a hacksaw/jabsaw (see attached pic), a hammer, needle nose pliers and a good straight screwdriver with a small (~1/4") wide tip. You have to make 2 cuts straight in on the inside of the remnant of the arm. You don't want to go so deep you cut to far into the threads in the elbow. A little is OK a lot, not so much. Once you've made your cuts about 3/8" apart you put the tip of the screwdriver right on the seam where the elbow and arm meet. Then tap the handle of the screwdriver so it goes into that seam and peels up the little piece between the slots. If it doesn't break out then cut a little deeper. Once the arm perimeter is broken you can get the rest out with needle nose pliers. I've removed dozens or more like this. It just takes a little patience. When you put the new arm in use at least 5 or 6 turns of teflon tape on the threads.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. I am very sorry to interrupt as Rick has already replied but please disregard his answer. There is not any need for cutting anything out. There is a nipple extracting tool that is about $10 that will remove the broken piece inside the wall. The part inside the wall is a drop eared 90 and the shower neck threads into that. The nipple extracting tool fits inside the broken piece and grabs onto it so you can simply unscrew it.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I will post a link for the tool now.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

click here the end that you stick inside has a little wing thing that when you turn it, grabs the inside of the broken piece and you turn the tool with a wrench. It will simply unscrew the piece out and allow you to install a new shower neck.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

When you install the new shower neck use teflon tape and be sure to put the tape on in a clockwise direction. If you put it on in the wrong direction it will come off and cause a leak.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I would be happy to continue to help if there is any more clarification needed. Just respond when you can and I would be glad to assist further. Mike