Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

We had an island wide voltage surge on Whidbey. Now the

Customer Question

We had an island wide voltage surge on Whidbey. Now the Rennai comes up with a Code 12, no gas. Is there a reset button on the Rennai. Our other tankless units went off line and I hit the reset button on the heaters and they turned on without any problems. Help!!!!!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If this is a Rinnai tankless water heater and not a Rinnai space heater, was it working flawlessly before the power outage? What fuel type are you using? Was the fuel supply turned off for any reason?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rinnai V2520FFU tankless water heater
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Propane never turned off
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Is the tank full? Is there a pump on the fuel tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tank at 85% full
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

When the water heater attempts to fire, do you see any flame at all through the viewing window or is there never a flame at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not fire, unit will not pass the gas into the heater. Are you and expert with the Rinnai units and how they work?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The troubleshooting will differ depending on whether there is a flame or not. This cannot be determined without observing what happens during an ignition attempt. The code is the same whether there is a flame or not but the troubleshooting is different. Will you observe whether there is a flame at all during an ignition attempt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just refund my payment and take me off your e-mail list You do not seem to know anything about these units
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Code 12 is a flame failure. There are two kinds of flame failure. One is when there is a flame then it goes out and the other is when there is never a flame. I wish it was as simple as "push the green button" but it is not. The problem must be diagnosed before there is any course of action.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am canceling our inquirey. Refund my payment now and send verification of return payment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cancel my inquiry now: effective 31 Oct 2015 1314 hrs. Return my deposit payment immediately. Verify you have made the deposit return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cancel my inquiry now: effective 31 Oct 2015 1314 hrs. Return my deposit payment immediately. Verify you have made the deposit return immediately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Visa is notified to not pay any of your charges.