Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I have a reverse osmosis filtration system modelGXRM10RBL.

Customer Question

I have a reverse osmosis filtration system modelGXRM10RBL. Has worked well for about 2 years. Recently changed out all filters for about the third time since having it. This time it had a new type flow control in the black line from the osmosis filter. This was the only difference. Followed instructions as I had done before but when completed I could only get one cup from the system then it only trickled from the faucet. Lived with it for about a month and then decided to redo the whole process. Turned off the water supply, opened the RO faucet and could not drain the tank. There was no pressure. Any ideas? Dick
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Noah Klein replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is ***** ***** I am a Master Plumber.

There could be a number of issues.

1. Make sure the flow control is set properly. It could also be clogged. I would check that first.

2. Make sure the filter kit is the proper kit and that the filters are installed the correct sequence.

3. The tank could be a unit that requires pressure. Usually not the issue, but possible.

My guess is that the problem has to do with the flow control. An RO system usually produces only 20 gallons per day of water. If you have a flow control, that would severely limit the water into the system.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to set the flow control.
Filter kit is the right one.
The tank has what looks like a tire pressure valve on the bottom of the base. Should that have air pressure in it?
I definitely have a flow control problem. The instructions say to turn off the water inlet valve then open the RO faucet to drain the tank. When I do that nothing comes out of the faucet because there must not be any pressure in the system. I put an air pressure gauge on that bottom valve and it did not record any pressure. How much pressure if any should be in that tank?
Dick
Expert:  Noah Klein replied 1 year ago.

That is a snifter valve. You need to pressurize the tank to your working pressure. There is a diaphragm in there to equalize the pressure. However, it is uncommon for a RO system. That is an expansion tank.

My guess is still on the flow controller. I would check to see if you are getting any water to the tank connection. If so, then pressurize the tank to your water pressure level (40 - 60 PSI).

I recommend getting the manufacturer involved. This seems very odd to have an expansion tank on an RO system.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The manufacturers web sit is where I found you and thought you were their representative. I have since found an RO specialist and ordering some parts to hopefully solve my problem. Thanks for your efforts but hope I will not be charged for the full estimated fee for using this service. Dick
Expert:  Noah Klein replied 1 year ago.

Good Luck!