Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

I'm in the process of renovating an old building and we'll

Customer Question

I'm in the process of renovating an old building and we'll be installing a new master bath. The washer and dryer will be in the bathroom and they'll be stacked.
Rather than putting an inexpensive plastic tray under the washer to catch leaks I thought it would make sense to actually install a drain under the area that the washer will be sitting. My concern is that the water "plug" in the "P" trap will evaporate over time.
I've not heard of anyone one ever putting a drain under a washer. Does this approach make sense?
If not, since we're still in construction, my other thought is to recess the floor under the washer about 2 inches to catch water, the same way a plastic tray would.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If you do plan on connecting the floor drain to the plumbing system then you would have to get a drain with a trap primer. This is much more troublesome and expensive. The alternative is to simply install a separate drain and then terminate it outside. It would just come out of the side of the house like a condensation drain.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

If you are planning to tile the floor of the laundry then you would install a tile shower drain and then bushing it down to 1" pvc then run that 1" drain to the outside anywhere convenient, just be sure that it is at least 4" above ground. You also do not need to install a trap for this application.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Certainly let me know if there is any further clarification needed. You can still comment or ask questions even after positively rating my service also if something comes up that we had not covered. I am glad to continue to help.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?