Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

Power is getting to our Insinkerator unit, given that we can

Customer Question

Power is getting to our Insinkerator unit, given that we can hear it "buzzing" but the unit won't spin and grind. What might be the problem and how might we fix it without having to call an expensive small appliance repair person in Queensland? Thanks!
Gail
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gail, my name is ***** ***** I have over 20 years experience in the plumbing trade and I will be happy to help you tonight.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Let me ask you a couple questions so I can get a "visual" as to where you are at. Does that disposal have a model number on the side of it by chance?

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me? :)

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I believe I can get you up and running.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you may be offline right now, so here is what I would like for you to do. Make sure you have the power turned off to the unit. Now underneath of the disposal in the center, you are going to feel an indentation. In that indentation hole is a place to put a 1/4" allen wrench.Your disposal may have come with that wrench. If not, you will need to get a 1/4" allen wrench. Put it into that allen hole and from there you will turn that allen wrench back and forth thus freeing up the jam you have. That is what that area is from,freeing up jams. It may be difficult to free up, but don't worry about using too much pressure, you won't over do it.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Here is a photo of the place for the wrench

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

You do not have to remove the disposal to do this procedure

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Once it is freed up, it should move relatively easy with the wrench. That way you know you got it. Turn the power back on to the unit. Flip the disposal switch and it should work now, if so. turn it off and plug that side of the sink and fill about halfway with water. Now pull the plug and turn the disposal one. This will wash out and help make sure that whatever had it jammed gone.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I found a nice short video to show you the procedure to free the jam. Again, you can do this while the disposal is in place. https://youtu.be/Gl2PUeo5Y1s

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how you made out. Thank you, Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hello Gail,

I'm just checking to see if you have had a chance to fix your disposal as I have described? Please let me know if I can be of further assistance :) Thank you, Steve