Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

Just hooked up a cold water line to my new fridge and reason

Customer Question

Just hooked up a cold water line to my new fridge and for some reason the water will only pump through the line when the the saddle tight shut off valve is loose, causing water to leak out of the cold water pipe. What do I do!? Please help!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. It may be leaking because the saddle gasket has worn out or the gasket in the valve itself has worn out. These types of valves are no longer approved because they are so unreliable even though they still sell them. The easiest thing to do would be to remove the valve and replace with a new fitting that will be much more reliable. You will need some copper cutters and i will find the fittings for you on the home depot site and post them here soon.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Is the pipe with the saddle valve 1/2" copper pipe?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Click here So you would cut out the section of pipe that has the saddle tee in it and replace it with this fitting. It just pushes onto the pipe. No soldering or tightening needed. Just be sure to use copper cutting tubing cutters to cut the copper and be sure to not cut a larger section out than needed.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?