Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

My husband left paint thinner on top of our water heater.

Customer Question

My husband left paint thinner on top of our water heater. Now we do not have hot water and the pilot light is flashing 7 times. I'm a little rattled - not sure what to do
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. The flammable vapor sensor has been activated and the water heater will not light until it has been reset. Turn the water heater off and air out the room the best you can. Get anything that may give off any fumes out of there. Any cleaners, paint, paint thinner or anything that may have any kind of fumes. Once you air it out really well it should reset the sensor although sometimes they cannot be reset and in that case the sensor will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

If the sensor in fact does have to be replaced the manufacturer will send a replacement usually for free but you would have to install it. Most likely just getting the air clear will reset it though.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I would recommend that when you do get it reset that you order a replacement FVS anyway. If you do have an issue in the future and you cannot reset it you will have the replacement.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?