Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have an ice maker that drains into a p-trap just below the

Customer Question

I have an ice maker that drains into a p-trap just below the floor, which also happens to be the ceiling of our garage. Condensation on the p-trap (the water draining from the ice maker is 33 degrees) has resulted in mold growth on the PVC pipes, surrounding insulation and the drywall ceiling. Is there anything I can do to eliminate the condensation problem on the pipes? I had a plumber at the house who suggested I just install a vent in the ceiling to allow it to breathe. I don't like this suggestion, also I'm concerned that in the dead of winter the pipes would freeze as our garage isn't heated.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You need to insulate the piping. If you insulate the piping you'll isolate the colder pipe from the warmer moist air that's the source of the condensation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of insulation do you recommend for a p-trap? spray foam, or wrap?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Foam pipe insulation not spray foam is best but you can also us a pipe wrap insulation

Note: the link to the foam pipe insulation is for illustration purposes only. The item pictured is too small. You may need to go to a plumbing supply house for insulation to cover you're (probably) 1 1/2" (nominal) PVC.