Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We have a Burnham Series 2 low pressure Boiler & the pilot

Customer Question

We have a Burnham Series 2 low pressure Boiler & the pilot light is not on.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Do you have electronic ignition or a standing pilot (lit all the time)? You'll need to locate the feed valve on the cold water supply line into the boiler (see attached for typical). It will also help if you have a multi meter to do some troubleshooting if the basic stuff doesn't work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The operation insyructions say that the unit has a ignition device that lights pilot automatically and not to try to light pilot manually.
Model no. 294NI-G2
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok there are a few things we can try to troubleshoot this. If you have a multi-meter we can do more but there are a few things we can do without one. First, is the vent damper open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find vent damper?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's on top of the boiler in the exhaust vent. Looks like the attached pic. If the flats on the motor shaft are vertical then it's open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached a photo of the vent. Looks like its open & installer (2013) took button off so it stays open?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't look open to me. Give me a shot of the other side. I want to see the shaft between the motor and the vent

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took a few shots
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, damper definitely not open. You may need a new damper but we can try to rule something else out if you're ok with jumping (connecting them together) the thermostat leads at the boiler. But before you try that show me a pic of where they connect to the boiler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked and there are lots of wires.???
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Give me a picture of inside the burner compartment (you'll have to remove the front panel)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not knowledgable here, and I am going to call a local plumber.
Can I get my money back?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You can but I diagnosed your problem. Is my time worthless?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to fix the problem
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I understand but you aren't comfortable doing what's necessary to fix this. All I can do is tell you what to do. I'll let customer service know you want a refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we try one more time
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I need a picture of the inside of the burner compartment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U mean the part covered by front cover?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I need to see the wiring inside. The 2 series has been around for 25 years and has been through a few changes so I need to know which version you have. I may need more pics but let's start there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a multi-meter
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this looks like a pretty new one. Give me a few to pull the wiring diagram. Be right back

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the 2 yellow leads that disappear into that junction bow on the left look like the thermostat leads. Show me (or tell me) what's connected to them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the yellow r part of that multi-line connector to a 'control' labeled bar. The other wires on connector go to trsnsformer/on-off switch mechanism.
The other bunch of wires fronjunction box to far side of bar labeled CIRC 1 & 2 & gnd
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

That's not what I said. From the multi pin connector there are 2 yellow leads that disappear into the junction box. These 2 yellow leads are shown as the thermostat leads so they should connect to a thermostat wire probably inside that box

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You'll probably have to remove the cover to the box to see. Turn the power to the boiler off first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see.
As a reference, when I was trying to get heat going the boiler was making a whirring noise & when the clock struck midnight, which was programmed off time, the noise stopped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The whirring sound could have been a pump. It's the only thing on the boiler likely to make that kind of noise

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it
The yellow wires r connected to a red & a green wire encased in a white sheath leading into junction box w boiler on off switch
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

OK, that last pic confirms these are thermostat leads. So what you need to do is turn the power off then disconnect the red & blue wires from the yellows and then twist the 2 yellows together (make sure they don't touch the sides of the box or put a wire nut on them) then turn the power back on and tell me if the damper opens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear noise , so How can I tell if damper is open?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If it's a crinkling noise it's the damper. The damper shaft should be up & down now not flat. The burner should fire up shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shaft that connects black round motor(?) to tubing coming out of top of boiler is flat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Burnet has not fired
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, turn the power off reconnect the blue & red wires (doesn't matter which one they go to) then put the cover back and call a plumber. Further troubleshooting is beyond your capabilities. I'll let customer service know you want a refund

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome and thanks for trying Just Answer