Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

We moved into new construction and are having an issue with

Customer Question

We moved into new construction and are having an issue with the master bath tub. The water coming from the faucet oftentimes is orange (if not run every few days) and even when it is run daily, most of the time it's cloudy with black specs (maybe sulphur?). It clears up after running for a few seconds. We aren't having this issue in any other room or bath. Any ideas on what it could be? The builder isn't sure what is causing or how to fix, other than to say they don't control the water coming into the house, which is city/township water.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Sometimes city metered water is from a community well. Do you know if that is the type water you have? Do you know what type of water pipe was installed? CPVC maybe?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the same result only running cold water or is it mostly when the hot water is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not from a well. We aren't have any of these issues in any of the other faucets, just this 1. The pipes look to be standard PVC. I'm not exactly sure if it's happening more with cold than hot. If I had to guess, I'd say cold.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I see. The water pipes cannot be regular PVC....or at least cannot be for the hot water piping. Technically it is ok on the cold water lines. The water pipes must be CPVC I must assume. When installing this type of piping it is often glued incorrectly. When it is being glued together the installer is only supposed to put glue on the pipe and not inside the fitting when putting it together. This most often is not how it happens. The installer puts glue on the pipe and inside the fitting then glues it together. The glue squeezes out inside and when they turn the water on for the first time the glue flakes off inside the water pipe. The glue is yellow or orange. The glue gets stuck in various places and as it dissolves causes this issue. Most other fixtures have a screen in them so you will not see it there as much or at all. If you remove one of your shower heads or aerators on the end of a sink faucet you will find plenty of yellow or orange flakes in the screen. I would have the installer flush your system out and get all of the glue flakes out of the system and water heater.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. A few final questions: When they glue it incorrectly, how long does that typically take to resolve? Basically how many times would we have to run the faucet for it to go away? What about the black particles, are they also glue related? They're small and they break apart when you scratch them?How would the installer go about flushing the system?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure how long the glue would take to dissolve or even if it would ever completely dissolve. The black particles are likely the glue that is cooking in the water heater. There is likely a fair amount in the water heater too. The installer would remove any aerators and shower heads and clean them out and run the water until the water lines are thoroughly flushed out and empty the water heater and fill it a bit then empty again. When the water is run into an empty water heater it stirs up the sediment in the bottom then while the sediment is stirred up the water heater is emptied again. This may have to be done many times to get all of the sediment out of the water heater. The installer will be resistant if you inform them that they installed the water piping incorrectly but it is true. When they came out with that type of pipe about 15 years ago we had a rep come out and describe how to glue it. Almost all of the installers were resistant to not putting glue in the fitting. I may be the only one who glues that type of piping correctly.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I would like to assume that the information was helpful but would very much like some confirmation from you.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful or is there any clarification needed?