Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

T laugh. Bought house that has 2 dishwasher. One each side

Customer Question

Don't laugh. Bought house that has 2 dishwasher. One each side of sink. Last night, ran dishwasher on the right. Water backed into dishwasher on the left. Each dishwasher hose connects to kitchen sink by a Y shaped tube. Could it be sink drain is not properly cleared and this causes back up?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Yes, the only likely explanation for what you describe (assuming they worked properly before) is that the sink drain has a stoppage. It could be as easy as cleaning out the trap or the drain may need to be snaked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is first time with this issue. Should I use drano in the sink first and see if that clears the stoppage? When running water in sink, there's no problem.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Never use draino. It seldom if ever works and it will burn the hands of whoever has to take the drain apart to clean it when it doesn't work. If the water runs out of the sink OK then there must be a stoppage in the common drain connection for the 2 dishwashers. You might want to leave this to a plumber or a drain cleaning service (likely cheaper than a plumber). If you want to tackle this yourself I need a picture of the piping under the sink for the dishwasher drain(s). I won't be online much longer tonight so get back to me right away if you need an answer tonight or I'll respond in the morning
You can post a picture here by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of this dialogue box. You can only post from a PC or a Mac not a phone or a tablet. If that doesn’t work for you then you can upload a pic to a file sharing service like Google pics or Dropbox. Then post the “share” link to your picture here or you can email the pic to customer service but the last option can take quite a while to get to me. Click on the CONTACT US link to contact customer service. http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try in the morning from my pc at work. Thank you!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, talk to you tomorrow.