Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I NEED HELP HOW DO I REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG ON BATHTUB ITS

Customer Question

HI MIKE I NEED HELP HOW DO I REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG ON BATHTUB ITS ONE YOU TWIST AND IT GOES DOWN I HAVE A HUGE CLOG
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Removing the plug in the bottom of the tub in almost every case won't help you to clear the clog. You need to snake the drain line through the overflow. First you have to remove the overflow plate which is usually just 1 or 2 screws.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THERE IS A CLOG AS BIG AS MY FIST JUST UNDER THE DRAIN --MAINLY HAIR THATS GOTTEN CAUGHT ON THE STRAINER BUT I CANT GET TO THE STRAINER YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD UNSCREW
AND COME OUT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I am heading to buy a snake
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you're sure the clog is just under the stopper then you'll have to get it out or maybe use a wire coat hanger (with a small hook bent on the end) to pull the hair out. I need a picture of the drain plug if this is the case so I have a better idea just what you have so I can tell you how to get it out.

You can post a picture here by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of this dialogue box. You can only post from a PC or a Mac not a phone or a tablet. If that doesn’t work for you then you can upload a pic to a file sharing service like Google pics or Dropbox. Then post the “share” link to your picture here or you can email the pic to customer service but the last option can take quite a while to get to me. Click on the CONTACT US link to contact customer service. http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Also you're much better off to rent a power snake than to buy a cheap hand snake that may not do the job. You can rent a power sink drain snake at most tool rental outlets.