Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My 1st floor toilet burps when I flush the 2nd floor toilet.

Customer Question

My 1st floor toilet burps when I flush the 2nd floor toilet. All other drains seem fine. I had a plumber snake the main line but that hasn't improved the situation. I understand that it might be a vent blockage but wouldn't that cause gurgles (air being sucked out) and not bubbles (air being pushed in)?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You're describing a blocked vent issue. The distinction you're making doesn't really matter. You need to get the plumber back to located the source of the vent blockage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do to test for a blocked vent? I had someone out to snake the vent but it was getting stuck at a joint so they suggested a water jet. I just want to make sure that's the issue before I pay for that.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The test is the symptoms you're describing. A water jet might work but only if the water has no where to go except through the blockage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the water jet isn't fool proof, what do you suggest?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You need an experienced plumber who can narrow down if not pinpoint the likely location of the blockage before you try water jetting. The water jet can be effective but only if it's inserted at a point where it's likely to take out the blockage and not just run harmlessly down the drain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That makes sense. I've had three different plumbers out here and they all just want to water jet from the roof opening. How do I hire one that will actually find the blockage?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Just jetting from the main stack on the roof is at best a roll of the dice unless they have some reason/evidence that the main stack is blocked (possible but not very likely). There isn't some formula I can give you for finding a plumber with the requisite experience. Word of mouth is your best bet or try calling a local supply house and ask who are the plumbers that have been around the longest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like I'm stuck. I really don't want to start ripping walls apart.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

There really isn't much more I can offer from here. There's no need to rip walls apart at this stage. One other possibility for finding a plumber is to try HomeAdvisor.com. They are a free referral service that vets all their contractors. Each plumber has his own profile page so you can check them out. There's even real feedback on the site.