Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have noticed a burning rubber smell in my house years on

Customer Question

I have noticed a burning rubber smell in my house for several years on and off. I am suspicious that at some point corrosive chemicals may have been poured into a drain about 8 years ago. At times when a P trap in the house is allowed to go dry, the rubber around my house begins to corrode. I can't be sure if this is just from regular sewer gas or corrosive fumes emanating from the plumbing due to some other chemical that may have been poured into a drain 8 years ago. Is it possible that a chemical poured into the pipes so long ago could still be creating corrosive fumes inside the house when a P trap is allowed to go dry? I don't have a tank, but am tied to a municipal system. Thank you!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There is virtually n chance that any chemicals dumped down the drain that long ago would still be around. They would have been diluted to harmless withing a matter of days if not weeks. If a p-trap is allowed to dry out then you can get sewer odor into the house until water is put back into the trap.