Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Our outside spigot won't turn on. I saw that maybe we have

Customer Question

Hi. Our outside spigot won't turn on. I saw that maybe we have another valve, but I can't find it. My husband has basically turned off and on all the valves. I need help!!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

Is your house on a slab or do you have a basement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a basement. I completely forgot that my husband apparently didn't disconnect the hose last winter. Could that have caused the problem? If so, what do I do about it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, it appears that the spigot is stripped
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Not disconnecting the hose could cause the pipe to freeze and split but it doesn't explain why you can't turn it on. What exactly is striped? the handle? or does the handle and stem (what the handle is attached to) keep turning without stopping at some point? Also the shut off is likely to be just inside the basement behind where the spigot pipe goes through the wall to the outside. Was that area checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we checked all the valves in that area. Nothing happened. The handle just keeps turning.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, chances are you'll have to replace the spigot if the stem is stripped. There's a slight chances you might be able to replace the stem but it's usually best to replace the whole thing. If you want to try replacing just the stem then I'll need a picture of the spigot if you want me to try to identify the brand.
You can post a picture here by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of this dialogue box. You can only post from a PC or a Mac not a phone or a tablet. If that doesn’t work for you then you can upload a pic to a file sharing service like Google pics or Dropbox. Then post the “share” link to your picture here or you can email the pic to customer service but the last option can take quite a while to get to me. Click on the CONTACT US link to contact customer service. http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, my computer isn't working right now and I only have my tablet. If I replace the spigot, do you think I could do that myself? I'm not real versed in this kind of thing.....
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It depends on the type of piping you have. You'd need to cut the piping then reconnect the spigot to it. If you have copper piping then you'll need to know how to solder copper piping. You also need to identify the specific shut off for this spigot. That means locating the shut off on the pipe as it comes through the outside wall to the spigot. Have you tried removing the handle and turning the stem with a pair of pliers?