Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My cold water tank has been clicked loudly when it is close

Customer Question

My cold water tank has been clicked loudly when it is close to empty and needs to fill. Why? How much of a problem is it?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I'm assuming you have a well and you're referring to the holding tank. There's nothing to be concerned about. The click is simply the pressure switch closing. It's normal for it to click. How loud the click is isn't an indication of a problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but there is a small leak between the wall and the tank while it is clicking.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Then you need to fix the leak. If there's only a short time between clicks then your tank probably needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it only click when it has very low water, and it is fast clicking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not the tank clicking but something close to the tank
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If it's clicking fast that's an indication (short cycling) that the tank has failed and needs to be replaced. Like I said before it's the pressure switch that's clicking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Short cycling does not mean the tank failed. There are many causes of short cycling.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

By far THE most common reason for short cycling is a failed tank. Take the handle of a screwdriver and rap the tank top to bottom. The top 2/3's should sound hollow. If it doesn't the diaphragm has failed or the tank is water logged if you have an old style tank. If you have a diaphragm type tank it will have to be replaced if you have an old galvanized tank then you can drain it to recharge it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am more concerned about. A something being blocked with well sedimant.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If the switch was clogged with sediment it wouldn't behave the way you describe. You can take it apart and clean it out if you like but it's not likely to solve the problem as you describe it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tank tested fine. A plumber was here a couple weeks ago and told me it was fine. So what could be the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tank has benn pretty empty with low pressure around 40 psi and sluggish water at the faucet when it is close to empty... Ie the well is not keeping up with the usage...
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I've already told you what the problem is, a failed or water logged tank. The holding tank is never empty. It's not there to store water it's purpose is to provide a cushion so the pump won't short cycle, which is what you're describing.