Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I was hooking up a 89 softner to my home. Where does the

Customer Question

I was hooking up a mark 89 softner to my home. Where does the drain hose hook up to? What do I do with it?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

The drain from the softener head or the brine tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Softner head? It is the tank with all the parts and such. Not what I fill with salt...if that helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it might be what fills up the softner so I put it in there but it just filled the salt talk to the brim
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you have to pipe it to a drain. We use vinyl tubing. The drain must be trapped so one option if it's nearby is to dump it into a washing machine stand pipe. But it also must discharge through an air gap to avoid sucking dirty drain water back into the softener. Do you have a washing machine nearby?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No washing machine, it is at one end of the house away from everything. That's where the main supply line is. So I am going to see where the drain hose is from my last softner. There was a small tube leading under my house from the last one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much water should I expect from it?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It must be piped to a drain not just dumped on the ground. This is the drain from the backwash cycle when the softener is flushed out periodically. You can expect A LOT of water from it.