Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a 5 family unit with one bathroom in the building

Customer Question

I have a 5 family unit with one bathroom in the building that is getting no hot or cold water to the tub, sink and the toilet won't flush
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

What type of piping to that unit? were any valves shut off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Copper piping and no valves were shut off
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Where in the building is this unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2nd floor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of 3 floors
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Well you have to give me something to go on. I'm blind here except for what you can tell me. The 2 most likely culprits are a piping issue (galvy or steel piping) or somebody shut off a couple valves. There are no other likely culprit for losing all the water to all the fixtures in a bathroom. There's a slim chance that all the fixtures are clogged with sediment but even that isn't likely unless the water was shut off recently

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The valves are all open
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok but since I can't go to your building and inspect the conditions I need you to give me something to go on. You also seem to have ruled out the piping. Are the branches to this bathroom exposed so you're sure it's all copper? Beyond that this cause would be unusual so if you can't provide more info there's not much more I can do from here sitting behind a computer screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a little pvc piping
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

PVC (unless it collapsed) isn't going to cut of the flow to an entire bathroom. Was the water turned off to that apartment recently? did you try cleaning the aerator on the end of the sink faucet spout?