Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

The hot water in our home is suddenly very low. The pressure

Customer Question

The hot water in our home is suddenly very low. The pressure starts fine, but then slows to very low stream. The cold water runs fine. It is affecting all the faucets in the house.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is this a new problem or has it always been this way? Has the shut off on the water heater been turned off recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a new problem. It was working fine yesterday!
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Has the shut off on the water heater been turned off then on recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Is the problem that the pressure is low or the water is not hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pressure is low
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the shut off on the water heater is turned all the way on and that the flexible line on the water heater is not kinked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check all that!
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

You did check that? If you did then there is a blockage on the inlet of the water heater or the outlet. It very well could be a blockage in the shut off valve itself. I would first try turning it off and then on and if that does not work then turn it back off again and disconnect the line from the cold inlet of the water heater and direct the line into a bucket and turn it on and flush it. Connect the line again and disconnect the line from the supply on the outlet and do the same. That will certainly solve the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have taken off the inlet and outlet and flushed the inlet. I reattached them. We have hot water but still very low pressure.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

And the low pressure is only on the hot and everywhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

When you flushed the line did you use the shut off on the water heater? Did you also disconnect the line on the outlet on the hot side and flush it there? Have you ever flushed your water heater and what type of water heater do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did disconnect the water lines in both sides (inlet and outlet) and flushed them both. By flush the water heater, do you mean drain all the water from the tank? We have not done that. It is a gas water heater.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, draining it with the gas off then turn it on a bit to stir up any debris and drain again until no debris comes out. No chance the issue started when the shut off on the water heater was turned off and then on, right? When you run a hot tap do you hear hissing like the water is restricted at the shut off on the water heater?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We drained the hot water tank, filled it up, drained it again, and filled it up again. No change. I don't hear any noises that indicate restriction.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Did it fill quickly? How long did it take to fill?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I have been thinking about what else could have caused the water pressure to get low like that. The cold water inlet and the hot water outlet have heat traps on each. It is basically a rubber flapper that keeps the water going in one direction. Either one of these nipples is in backwards and it took a while for it to get stuck partially closed or water pressure has pushed one of the rubber flappers through and it is stuck closed. This has got to be the issue. Remove the nipples and you will see the little rubber flap that is causing the problem.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I would like to assume that the information was helpful but would very much like some confirmation from you.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful or is there any clarification needed?