Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience:  Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
23932409

I'm not sure I need a plumber to answer this question but I

Customer Question

I'm not sure I need a plumber to answer this question but I didn't another category that made sense. Let me know if I need to ask someone else please.... I am removing a gas fireplace from my living room. We never use it and it severely limits our wall space for furniture, etc..... The gas is shut off at the valve that goes into the fireplace under the house. I have already removed the logs, the logs insert, mantle and the brick around the front (the hearth). Now, I'm trying to remove the actual metal insert itself. However, the chimney's full weight, apparently is resting on the top of it and I can't see how to remove the insert from the whole chimney assembly. How does one do this?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Go onto the roof and see if you can pull the chimney pipe up after disconnecting it from the fire place, or at least lift it a few inches, then drill a half inch hole on each side and poke steel rod through it to hold it up while you remove the insert below.

The odds that this will work without further coaching are in the 40% range, we will learn something from your efforts however and can take more measures from there.

When I was doing that sort of work, I used an oxygen acetylene cutting torch to cut the metal away in pieces, that always works well, just be sure stand clear of falling metal or prop it up before you cut it, then pull the prop out with a rope when you are clear.

This will be step one, let me know how it goes. Put a plug in the end of the gas shut off valve under the house to be safe.

----------------

Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how Iearn a living, and does not increase your charges.

If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try that tomorrow. Can we leave this question open until I see if that's possible? I have never looked up there to see how it's connected at the chimney top....

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Yes we can finish this tomorrow, no problem. Typically the vent stack is lowered after the fire place is set... then a sheet metal cap is fit over the top and screwed to the vent stack. If the chimney is not too tall there is a good chance you can pull it straight out.

See you tomorrow.