Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am trying to install a toto washlet onto a kohler toilet

Customer Question

i am trying to install a toto washlet onto a kohler toilet that is mounted to the ground. I need to buy an adapter to make it work. anyone have experience with this? our toilet is a skirted kohler two piece toilet and the water supply line is visible from the wall to the toilet but the other end is hidden within the toilet. I have purchased an extension tube for one side of the T adaptor that comes with the washlet to connect the 7/8" side to the 3/8" connector on the water supply. I need to connect the other side which I am told needs a 7/8" male x 3/8 compression connector. (forgive me…not a plumber…just a relentless homeowner determined to make this work!)
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

OK, the TEE you have pictured isn't going to work. You can make this work but you're going to need to improvise and the adaptation isn't going to be pretty. Before I can tell you what to get I need to know what size the branch of your TEE is. If you don't know the nominal size I can probably figure it out if you can give me the outside diameter of the threads.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we talk live by chance? My number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

There is an additional charge for a phone call. We can probably resolve your issue here but if you still want a call I'll post an additional services offer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmmmm I didn't realize that. It just seems more complicated than typing will allow...especially with my ignorance. :) Ok...I will give it a shot. In the picture, the TEE is a custom piece that comes with the toto washlet. I have an adaptor that is a hose and connects one side of the TEE to the water source coming from the wall. I am told that the piece I need is another hose that has a 7/8" male on one side and a 3/8" compression fitting on the other. Does this sound like it will work? And if so do you have any suggestions where I can get this or how to make it? (Note: separately I went to home depot to create a new TEE to replace the one shown in the picture that came with the TOTO washlet and was able to create one that had the 3/8" fittings on each side but the grey part shown in the picture is a custom piece from TOTO and I could not find anything to replace it)
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid that doesn't answer my question. I know what you would normally need I need to know what the BRANCH of the TEE is (apparently the connection you can't find). You've made a start in that you seem to have found a brass 3/8 compression TEE which can give you an outlet from the existing toilet supply tube but we need to adapt that 3/8" branch to the connection to the TOTO. So I need to know what size that is. Apparently you don't know so you need to measure the outside diameter of the male threaded branch on the adapter TEE that came with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will measure this shortly and reply to you. It is not with me at the moment. Thank you.
And so we are talking about the same thing, you are not talking about the branch that is gray in the picture are you? I am told that is a custom TOTO part. I will measure the branch that will connect to the tube coming out of the toilet.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Yes I'm talking about the gray branch. I doubt it's a unique size but anything is possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will measure it. Are you thinking that we will not be able to find a connection to bridge the silver female 7/8" part with the hose coming out of the toilet (3/8")? It seems if this part exists that would do it. I just can't seem to find it or know enough to know if I have found it...
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The 7/8" connection is unique to the threads on the bottom of a toilet fill valve. So the only way to use it would be to cut another hole in the toilet skirt that the current supply tube is penetrating . I don't think you want to do that. I wouldn't.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will measure the gray piece in a few minutes
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick. I am sorry for just now sending the pictures. Hopefully these will help you see the size.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I need you to measure the outside diameter of the threads on the branch of this TEE. Pictures don't help unless you hold a ruler next to the threads.