Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

I know that water flow and pressure (PSI) are directly

Customer Question

I know that water flow and pressure (PSI) are directly related, however, can one have good flow, say 1.5GPM at the kitchen tap, yet still have lower pressure? So basically, the water can flow fast, but not have enough pressure to push through certain obstacles, such as a water filter?
Thanks.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Try hooking up a pressure gauge on one of your outlets to be sure, low pressure through a big pipe will still give you the flow rate but not the pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** have a flow of 1.5GPM from standard kitchen faucet yet still have low pressure?

That's a decent flow rate, are you able to measure your pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I wouldnt need to consult here if I did.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. 1.5 gpm is actually quite low. For example, most shower heads are rated at 2.5 gpm and the super water saving shower heads that everyone hates are 1.75 gpm and those measurements are estimates relating to systems with decent water pressure. It certainly sounds that you have a pressure issue that needs to be corrected. This issue would be addressed in different ways depending on the type of water source you have. Do you have a well system or city metered water? Also is the issue only with the kitchen or is it throughout the house?