Plmqwk
Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Experience:  20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector
47536969

Need help. My son flushed with baby wipes disposable and

Customer Question

Hi, need help. My son flushed with baby wipes disposable and clogged the bathroom toilet yesterday. Now it seems worse because the water does not go down at all even with plunging it and using hot water and dish soap.
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By worse I mean the water does not go down as it did before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 1 year ago.

I will save you the cost of a "phone" call. To resolve this issue has only a couple options. Since plunging didn't work the only home remedy left is to purchase a toilet auger (about $15- 20) at a home improvement or hardware store. This "snake" will rod out any clog remaining in the trapway of the toilet if in fact that is the issue. IF this does not work then it is time to hire a professional drain cleaning company to remove the toilet and rod out the sewer drain pipe. It is entirely possible there has been a slow (partial clog) all along that the baby wipe has finally completely jammed up and fully clogged the drain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water drained and no new water came in. Is that a bad sign? Also there is a sewage odor.
I bought the auger at Home Depot and my husband will use it. Does this usually do the trick? Does it usually work in one try?
I have just never seen this before usually when the toilet clogs water will fill back up
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 1 year ago.

If you aren't getting any water replaced in the bowl after a flush then you need to check and be certain the flush valve and flapper in the tank is working properly. Flapper should raise when the handle is flushed and water should drop from tank into bowl and the flush valve should allow water to refill the tank. That would be a separate issue from thr clogged drain. The closet auger is only long enough, and designed to clear out (remove or push through) any obstructions caught in the toilet internal trapway (gooseneck) itself. It is not long enough to remove any obstructions such as tree roots or other blockage that may be occurring further down in the piping system that can cause toilets to clog up. I will be unavailable for the remainder of the day as I have to work today 11-5. Sorry, was hoping to remedy this in completion last night.