Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

Rheem he119199 lp gas water heater, ignitor does not work.

Customer Question

rheem he119199 lp gas water heater, ignitor does not work. how to repair?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Do you know if the spark electrode is getting a spark? Is there an error code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't know. Give us an answer for both case scenarios. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

If it has a spark electrode it may very well be a matter of cleaning the electrode and replacing the flame sensor. If it has a standing pilot and the pilot will not stay lit then the thermocouple will need to be replaced. If it will not light at all then the same answer would apply. Also clean the burner area of debris.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Installed a new ceramic igniter, the heater attempts to light 3 times, then goes into lockout mode. Never worked on these before and there is no repair manual, it is in the mountains, no cell phone service. Don't think it has a standing pilot, seems to be all electronic. Can you describe the flame senor to me. I removed a ceamic device with a small metal rod approx 2 inches long, attempted to clean, then reinstalled, still a no go. Will try to communicate more, I gotta family emergency to take care of too, so I may be slow to answer, but will get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any advice on where to secure a repair manual?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure about where to get a repair manual or even if there is one. Is the water heater on a stand? Did you see a spark from the igniter? The rod part is the flame sensor. Is there any error code?