Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a sink with a pop-up (clicker style) drain stopper.

Customer Question

I have a sink with a pop-up (clicker style) drain stopper. You press on the stopper and it stays down. Press again and it's supposed to pop up. Problem is, it's been getting stuck in the down position. It doesn't feel like it moves cleanly anymore.
I tried to turn the stopper counter-clockwise. It doesn't turn at all. Any suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told that normally you turn these counter-clockwise to unscrew them, but mine does not turn. It's only 7 years old. I don't know what brand it is.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you can't unscrew the stopper you'll have to replace the whole drain assembly. It's not that difficult. You have a lock nut on the underside of the sink. You'll need to put plumber's putty under the stopper side of the assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waaah. So it's not reparable after only 7 years? I hate it!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's not a big expense to replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok... update. i just managed to unscrew the top. So now I see a the pen-shaped cylinder in the middle with a piece that pops up and down within the cylinder. It's not encrusted or rusted, but It doesn't glide smoothly. Should I try WD-40?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sprayed Tri-Flo Superior and it's working!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Glad you worked it out