Paul the Plumber
Paul the Plumber, Plumbing,Heating,Gas technician
Experience:  Master Plumber, Journeyman Heating, Gas Technician 25 years in the building industries.
16809855

My soft water ge 39 is now full of water. it overflowed into

Customer Question

My soft water ge 39 is now full of water. it overflowed into my garage. What do I look for?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Paul the Plumber replied 1 year ago.

Hello I hope I can help you with your water softener.

I would say that certainly the overflow safety valve has failed thus allowing the water to get to the overflow stage. If your safety overflow is malfunctioning because of it needing to be cleaned it will allow the brine tank to get to the point of overflow. That being said this valve is for just as the name suggests is a safety. The water shouldn't get to the point of overflow. There are a few reasons that your unit keeps filling. They all relate to the head areas needing to be cleaned. It should say in your manual what and where should be cleaned. They are the brine fill line, the venturi and the pistons in the softener head. Generally a good cleaning does the trick. Along with the before mentioned issues you would want to check that the tube going to the brine that isn't plugged or kinked or something strange like that. This is not that hard of a process with a little mechanical aptitude. If you are not comfortable you should call your local treatment pro. Hope this helps

Thanks Paul the Plumber