bwilliamson1
bwilliamson1, Handyman/Handywoman
Experience:  any plumbing in your home i can help u fix it
5269775

I have a Rinnai u98 tank less water heater and all of the

Customer Question

I have a Rinnai u98 tank less water heater and all of the sudden after about 2 minutes of hot water the hot water shuts off. I checked the unit and there is no error and the flow is well above the minimum. After about a minute the unit fires back up and the cycle continues. Any suggestions? This is a NG system
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  bwilliamson1 replied 1 year ago.

All water heaters now days have limit switches on them. They heat up and the limit switch kicks it out of cycle and when you let it set for a minute it cools down and lets the unit start back up with the same problem, for safety reasons you need to replace the limit switch that is bad. However to check for a bad one disconnect the wires on each side and put a car fuse in its place to see if the cycle stays on. The limit switch is round with a spade connection on each side. You can also see it in the schematic on the inside of the cover.